Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sunflower on the Evening News

On Wednesday evening, June 4th, my sunflower photo made the local evening news at 5:30pm. It was featured as the backdrop for the weather segment on WTLV Channel 12, the NBC affiliate.

autumn beauty sunflower on the evening news

That morning, I had sent in a couple of photos of the interesting sky the night before. The sky was pretty striated colors of pale pink and pale blue - like baby colors! After I sent those pictures, I sent a separate email with one sunflower photo.

My Eight Foot Sunflower Garden Impacted by the Wind
My Eight Foot Sunflower Garden Impacted by the Wind
Photo Taken: May 30, 2014 at 5:50pm by JaguarJulie Ann Brady

What I said in my email: "I've been going through my evening photos and found that I captured one of my many sunflowers against that evening sky. Pretty colorful. By the way, I've included a recent photo of my sunflower garden -- what it looks like now that I added thirty 5 ft. stakes and twine to support it from the winds. With the winds, rain and hail of last week, a good portion of my sunflower garden "hit the ground" -- I had to cut out the damaged plants, put the blossoms in four vases, and stake the rest. That happened the day that the weather forecast said we had lesser winds. Not in Mandarin!" --Julie

That evening, I had been watching the first part of the 5:30pm news, but was in my office editing more sunflower photos from the day's shoot. That's when an email came in from Mike Prangley, the meteorologist at First Coast News.

"Thanks so much! You made my 5:30 pm newscast so much more fun!!! Keep sending in those pics!" -- Mike

I ran back in to the living room and rewound the program; that's when I snapped this picture!

History: Excerpt from DIY Garden of Sunflowers that was originally created on Squidoo by JaguarJulie on May 2, 2014. On May 3, 2014 this lens earned the Purple Star Award for quality content. This lens was honored as lens of the day on May 14, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment