Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Kalocsa Hungarian Folk Art

Kalocsa Hungarian Folk Art : Pottery, Embroidery and More. Kalocsa is Hungarian folk art that is colorful and quite impressive. Kalocsa encompasses pottery, embroidery and so much more! The Hungarians are known for their pottery and fabulously-decorated stoneware such as those from Kalocsa.

kalocsa hand painted collectible bonboniere
I love Everything Hungarian and that includes Kalocsa. Welcome to a showcase of all things Kalocsa!

Glad you took time to drop by today. I hope that you will gain a new found appreciation for all things Kalocsa!

I'm particularly fond of the Kalocsa hand painted floral porcelain collectibles. Oh, and the Kalocsa doilies too!

P.S. Don't forget to try Kalocsa Hungarian Paprika!

Photo Credit: Kalocsa Hand Painted Collectible Bonboniere.

My first introduction to Kalocsa pottery was in the small Hungarian city of Heviz. We stopped for a one-week stay at Club Dobogomajor. As we spent a couple of days walking around Heviz, our timing couldn't have been better as their was a street festival with a number of local merchants who displayed their wares.I Love Hungary and all things Hungarian!

In researching Kalocsa online, I found a most interesting web page authored by a former resident of Kalocsa! What they had to say about Kalocsa ...

The folk art of Kalocsa represents a peculiar color in the splendid bunch of flowers of Hungarian folk art. Not only has it a rich past, but it is still living, flourishing, developing richly and brilliantly. A magnificent folk art has developed in Kalocsa and its region concentrated in the town itself. From here did it become spread to the neighboring villages: Öregcsertö, Szakmár, Homokmégy, Drágszél and farms belonging to them.

I grew up in Kalocsa and with these pages I would like to pay tribute to those pioneers who helped to make the folk art of Kalocsa popular in the nineteen thirties, and to the numerous folk artists who taught me to love the colors of Kalocsa.


Ferenc and Sarolta Pécsi, who organized and choreographed the world renown “Gyöngyös Bokréta” folk dance group. r. Lajos Gábor and v. Ferenc Draskóy-Draskovich whose dedication helped to create the Folk Art House in Kalocsa. After the communist take over in 1945 their work was forgotten.


I should mention many more names but I left Kalocsa fleeing the secret police in 1949, and I don’t have all the resources at hand to create a complete picture. Since 1957 I live in Canada, but will never forget Kalocsa the place where I grew up!
--Source: The Folk Art of Kalocsa by gdraskoy.

Try some Reese Kalocsa Sweet Hungarian Style Paprika.

The bold flavor livens up your favorite chicken, veal, and beef dishes. Use it to enhance your sauces, soups, and salad dressing. It makes a zesty grill rub for lamb. And, you can combine paprika with other seasonings or use on its own.

Kalocsa Pottery

We found these Kalocsa decorative serving plates at a street festival in Heviz, Hungary.

Some of the pottery included those from Kalocsa.

These are perfect serving plates for presenting Hungarian goulash, Hungarian stuffed cabbage rolls, Hungarian spaetzle and other authentic Hungarian cuisine.

Kalocsa Embroidery

It is true Hungarian folk art. Each and every piece, to be true Kalocsa, is handmade and unique in style, color and pattern. When you purchase Hungarian Kalocsa that is handcrafted, you are purchasing a work of art.

I LOVE Kalocsa!

I have personally always loved bright and bold flowers. It never occurred to me that this love may be attributed to my Hungarian and Czech heritage that it is actually routed in my genes!


I Love Kalocsa! Would you believe? The word is out on Kalocsa! Now you can own a "I Love Kalocsa" traditional Hungarian paprika. What's next? You don't need to be Hungarian or Eastern European to love Kalocsa. It's boho chic these days.

Have you discovered Kalocsa? Do you love it? Did you enjoy this lens? I’d love to hear from you!

History: Kalocsa : Hungarian Folk Art was originally created on Squidoo by JaguarJulie on April 5, 2007. Highest lensrank ever achieved: #3,920 overall. Lens #41 in the quest for Giant Squid 100 Club Charter Member 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment