Friday, August 29, 2014

Paprika the Hungarian Spice

I've been using Paprika, the incredible Hungarian Spice, for quite some time, well before I could drive a car. In fact, I even remember as a child adding it to my oatmeal ... today I wouldn't recommend that but I have seen friends adding it to their scrambled eggs!

ground paprika on a spoon
My grandmother used lots of Paprika in her Hungarian recipes; especially in her Chicken Paprikas and Veal Paprikas! Oh, grandma didn't add Paprika to her most delicious Stuffed Cabbage.

Hungarian Paprika is an absolutely fabulous spice. Paprika is the essential spice for Hungarian cuisine, giving food color and taste.

Hello my little spice!

You know, I truly do LOVE Paprika i.e. The Incredible Hungarian Spice! Let me tell you more about my love for this little humble spice!

Photo Credit: Ground Paprika on a Spoon by Maja Smend.

Do You Love Paprika?

Survey Says : YES!

First Memories of the Spice!

“Gosh, I do remember adding a little Hungarian Paprika to my oatmeal. While I wouldn’t recommend that application, I do recommend you try some of the authentic Hungarian spice. It is very versatile as a spice … hot, mild, sweet. Your pick!

Oh, I wouldn’t recommend it on breakfast cereal, but it is OK to add to scrambled eggs if you like!” –The Brand Ambassador for JaguarJulie!

Paprika Nutrition Facts

paprika nutrition facts

Derivation of Paprika

The word comes from the Hungarian "paprika", which derives from the Serbian "paprena", which means "the one that is hot" and it is derived from Serbian papar "pepper" which in turn was borrowed from the Latin "piper", for "pepper."

ground red paprika spice in a bowl

Keep away from light!
Paprika deteriorates quickly, so it should be purchased in small quantities and kept in airtight containers away from sunlight. Protect the precious Hungarian paprika!

Types of Hungarian Paprika

Did you know there were so many?
  • Special Quality (Különleges): The mildest and brightest red of all Hungarian paprikas, with excellent aroma.
  • Delicate (Édes csemege): Ranging from light to dark red, a mild paprika with a rich flavour.
  • Exquisite Delicate (Csemegepaprika): Similar to Delicate, but more pungent.
  • Pungent Exquisite Delicate (Csípos Csemege, Pikáns): A yet more pungent Delicate.
  • Rose (Rózsa): Pale Red in colour with strong aroma and mild pungency.
  • Noble Sweet (Édesnemes): The most commonly exported paprika; bright red and slightly pungent.
  • Half-Sweet (Félédes): A blend of mild and pungent paprikas; medium pungency.
  • Hot (Eros): Light brown in colour, this is the hottest of all the paprikas.

Try Hungarian Paprika:
  1. Hungarian Sweet Paprika, 5-Ounce Tins
  2. Hungarian Hot Paprika, 5-Ounce Tins
  3. Sweet Smoked Hungarian Paprika (250gr)
  4. Paprika Combination Bundle- 3 Items (Szeged Hungarian Sweet Paprika, Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika and Chiquilin Smoked Paprika)

Love Paprika?

So, are you a fan of Paprika?
What’s your favorite type of Hungarian Paprika? What food do you like to spice with Paprika?

History: I Love Paprika : The Hungarian Spice was originally created on Squidoo by JaguarJulie on January 9, 2008. Highest lensrank ever achieved: #2,197 overall. Lens #227 in the quest for Giant Squid 300 Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment