Wednesday, August 20, 2014

God’s Little Devotional Book for Women

Most days it is tough to be a blonde and get taken seriously. I am thankful for my strong sense of resolve and my spirituality. Then, there is a little purple book that I love to read.

This awesome little book, God's Little Devotional Book for Women, has been on my bookshelf in my home office for some time. I would frequently grab that book and open to some random page for a light and easy read of something inspiring and uplifting.

I AM SPIRITUAL

To know me is to know that I am not super religious or what you might call a religious-fanatic. However, I was raised in the Catholic religion and attended Catholic Schools in the Cleveland, Ohio area for a lot of years! Growing up and attending those schools meant we were immersed in the teachings and usually attended Catholic mass each and every school day. And, then on Sunday again.

Those teachings accompanied me throughout my life, helping me to be a decent and honest person. But, I found I wasn't attending mass like I used to. Now that I live in Jacksonville, Florida, I have searched for churches and their services which speak to me.

I even visited the large Catholic Church that is a few miles from my home. For some reason, all the singing surprised me as it did at another Christian Church.

FILLING THAT VOID

I don't read the Bible like some do although when I am traveling, it is the book that I will find in my hotel room. I haven't been traveling like I used to, so that cuts down on that activity. In my neighborhood, although we have a no soliciting sign at the entrance, I do get Jehovah Witnesses coming to my door. Sometimes I feel I need to fill that void.

WRITING ONLINE

Honestly? Throughout the day, as I do my writing online and connecting with people from all over the world, I have found these interactions help to fill the void in some respects. However, the interactions aren't always all that spiritual.

SO ... GOD'S LITTLE DEVOTIONAL BOOK FOR WOMEN

It really fills that void for me. You know the title might say "for women," but I feel men can achieve spiritual stimulation as well. I love the little quote you find on the inside cover, "A good laugh is sunshine in a house." ~Thackeray


CHECK OUT MY PERSONAL PHOTOS

I've selected my favorite passages and little devotionals found in this little book. If you click on the polaroid pictures, you can read that favorite passage ... which is your favorite? Can you pick just one? I couldn't. Obviously!





I love the compact style! Plus the cover is pretty awesome. Did you notice how my Pucci-licious nail polish blends with the purple flowers? Awesome!

Favorite Select Quotes:
  • "To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?" ~ p. 78
  • "Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." ~ p. 48
  • "A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love." ~ p. 46
  • "Worry is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere." ~ p.30
  • "What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. They are but trifles, to be sure but, scattered along life's pathway ..." ~ p. 24
  • "We should seize every opportunity to give encouragement. Encouragement is oxygen to the soul." ~ p. 16
  • "It isn't hard to make a mountain out of a molehill. Just add a little dirt." ~ p. 184
  • "Contentment isn't getting what we want but being satisfied with what we have." ~ p. 168

What a neat series of books. How about that, there is a statement about a devotional book being the #1 best seller? That is pretty awesome, I think.

I love how there is a series of these devotional books so that men and moms have their own niche. Although! Aren't moms usually women? So, I believe the mom's book is from a different slant; but it is all good! Be daring ... if you are a women, read the one for men ... maybe it will help us to understand them better? Maybe not. You know, men ARE from Mars ... I was married to one ... I believe he has been touring Mars recently and hopes to return to the USA soon.

I did spot one mixed review in which the reviewer didn't like the fact that they thought the verses were "picked out of a hat."

Hey! That's the reason a writer is a writer ... they are expressing their take on it ... and what they see as content for their book.
For me, that is what I totally love about it!

The reviewers were a bit more kind in their reviews of this little book.

You know, now I really wished that THIS was the gift I got for my mom for mother's day!

I mean, she is probably less religious than I am and definitely more cynical ... but I feel she would love the spiritual content.

Have you perhaps read this little book, God's Little Devotional Book for Women, or maybe one of the series of God's Devotional Books? How did you like it? Did you find it inspired you spiritually each day? What is your favorite devotional in the book? I can't pick just one; as you probably could already tell.

P.S. Probably the single one song that truly captures the essence of having a little inspiration in one’s daily life and dealing with the frustrations. Hey … sing along with me … “Let it go!”

No comments:

Post a Comment